Thursday, September 02, 2004

The Chinese Canadian


Over the last few years I have done business, via the internet, with people from many countries; Turkey, Spain, China, UK, Peru, Canada, Hong Kong (I know, technically China), The Philippines, Switzerland, Singapore, Germany and Midway Island. Despite my uneasiness these transaction have gone smoothly. I have found however that individuals in Canada and the UK, specifically Scotland, display a certain hard-edged arrogance that has me avoiding any deal that might involve them. I recall the Scot who did not feel the watch I sold him was up to snuff. He did not seem interested in the full refund I offered him; he seemed more interested in an admission of guilt and apology than anything else. Which was not forthcoming because he was full of shit. Since then I’ve found Canadians and Brits to be abrupt, demanding and generally less than helpful. My aversion to doing business with the British and their subjects was brought sharply into focus during a recent exchange of emails with one Mr. Ron Yo, a Canadian as you can clearly tell from his name.


A few days ago I listed a watch along with some strap, bracelets and buckles for sale at a watch "sales corner". I got a pretty good response and w/in 48 hours had over $300 in my paypal account and had already shipped the items in padded envelopes. It all went like clockwork except for Mr. Ron Yo of Canada. Our exchange of messages follows. I’ve been around the net long enough to know that shipping overseas and exchanging currency will get you hammered so I was not my usual accommodating self w/ Mr. Yo.

Ron Yo, the Chinese Canuck’s words are italicized. Mine are in normal font. (My asides to you are in blue and/or parenthesis)

Subject: Bros Rubens
Will take your Bors Rubens if it is still available. Shipping to Canada is required. Will use Paypal. Thanks
Ron

That would be great, but do you know what, if any, requirements there are to ship crocodile-skin products from the US to Canada?
Thanks,
Steve

Steve,
I have received many croco and gator straps from the States vis airpost, the senders just marked it as a strap of $10 or even lower value and so far there is no trouble at all. May be you can consider to do it this way. Thanks
Ron in Canada

OK. My Paypal id is SteveXXX@XXX.net, just to clarify; I cannot accept credit-card funded payment with my basic Paypal account, it needs to be funded by a bank withdrawal or PP balance. If we're good to go, I'll look for your payment and should be able to ship today.
Thanks,
Steve

(This is always stated in my FS: ads but I’ve found I need to clarify it for idiots who just don’t pay attention.)

Hi Steven,
Sorry, I can't do that in with my Payapl account. Why don't you upgrade that?
Ron

(Why don’t you mind your own damn business Ron?)

Ron,
I don't do enough business on line to make it worth my while. It's no big deal on a strap of course, but it can add up on a $1K or $2K watch! If you are interested in mailing a bank check or money order please let me know.
Thanks,
Steve

Steven,
Can you honor a check in Canadian dollars issue by a Canadian Bank in your place? if yes, work out the amount in Cad and give me your address and account payable. Thanks
Ron

(How much work do you think I want to do to sell a $35 strap $10 below it’s street value?)

Sorry but I would need payment in US dollars. If it is not worth the hassle for you I understand.
-Steve

Reserve it for me. I wll send you money in US later. Give me the name payable and your address. Thanks
Ron

Thanks Ron,
Info is:
Steve xxxxxxxx
12 XXXX Drive
XXXXX, XX 12345
USA

Noted. I mean money order. OK?

(Whatever)

Hi Steven,
Running around like hell this morning but can't find an agency issuing an MO in here with reasonable handling charge. It doesn't make sense to pay high for this small deal. I am very sorry that I have to call off our deal. Sorry for taking up your time and hope that you have a second buyer on the line. Best regards.
Ron

That's OK, sorry we couldn't work it out.
-Steve

(Phew, dodged a bullet with that moron!)

(A day later I re-listed a few remaining items, including the Bros Rubens strap at reduced prices. In the case of the strap I reduced it from $35 to $30. A few hours later I heard from Ronal Yo)

If it ever goes down to $ 25, find me. $ 10 can cover the handling fee of the MO. Thanks
Ron

OK

You will receive my MO, may be next week. Say it is a $ 10 strap in the Customs form. My address:
Ron Yo
12 XXXX XXXXX
Canada
LXXR 9XXXB6

(I bet this idiot thinks "OK" means I will sell it to him at $25)

No problem, 30 USD right?

No, 35-10=25. You can go back to our mails to find that out.
Ron

(Somehow in his muddled brain "OK" meant that I was indeed willing to cover his $10 money order fees. Plus he’s getting arrogant, go back to our emails indeed.)

Ron,
Thanks for your interest but I think it would be best if both moved on.
Thanks,
Steve

(I fully expect to receive a $25 money order next week. I intend to ship Mr. Yo ½ of a Bros Rubens crocodile strap at that price.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home